Reporting an Absence
ABSENCE FROM SCHOOL - ILLNESS
It is important for us to know if a student is not going to be attending school. Therefore, would you please telephone 01722 323326, send an email to email@example.com or contact us via parent portal as soon as possible on the first day of non-attendance, informing us of the reason and expected length of absence.
- Absences must be reported EACH day of absence for health and safety purposes.
- Reception and the school office are manned from 8.30am, although there is a school answerphone for earlier messages.
- It is important that the school is notified immediately of any contagious diseases e.g. German measles.
- In all cases, a letter or an email following a telephone call explaining the reason for absence must be sent to the Attendance Officer on the day of return to school.
- If your daughter has a music lesson you should contact the peripatetic teacher yourself – the school office will not be able to do this for you.
- If no call or email has been received to notify us of your daughter’s absence, you will be contacted by Mrs Crossen, or Mrs Stacey the Attendance Officers over the course of the day.
Please note: all absences, which the school has not received notification for will be recorded as unauthorised absence.
ABSENCE FROM SCHOOL - OTHER REASONS
- Permission for a pupil to be absent from school, including medical appointments, should be requested as far in advance of the event as possible.
- A letter or the appointment card must be given to Reception or the Attendance Officer in advance where possible, or produced on the day at the time of signing out.
- For absence other than a medical appointment, please use the Absence request form, available at http://www.swgs.wilts.sch.uk/LettersAndForms.asp#Forms This form is also available in Reception.
- The law authorises certain categories of absence and these include: sickness or other unavoidable cause, religious observance, if suitable transport has not been provided and the school is not within walking distance and educational visits.
- The guidelines for authorising holidays in term time are very strict and can only include those taken for exceptional reasons. This does not include convenience of flights or cost of holidays. Please give as much detail as possible on the Leave of Absence Form.
- If you take your daughter out of school for other reasons, this will be unauthorised absence and will be recorded as such
Requesting of Absence
You will already be aware of the changes to the government guidance about authorising absence in term time. The reference to granting holiday absence has been removed and so any term time absence can only be authorised in exceptional circumstances. This has affected the guidance we have now been issued from Wiltshire Council regarding the issue of Penalty notices. These must be issued if a student accumulates 10 or more unauthorised absences within a 6th month period, for this purpose a session is equal to either a morning or an afternoon of school. Here are the more detailed guidelines from Wiltshire Council.
For absence other than a medical appointment, please use the Absence request form, available at http://www.swgs.wilts.sch.uk/LettersAndForms.asp#Forms This form is also available in Reception.